Sunday, November 21, 2010

Strollers and Liquid Gold

Yesterday was jam packed and I had a hard time figuring out when I was going to cram in my run. In the end the only time available was while my wife was away and I was watching the three kiddies. I could run on the treadmill, but it seemed like such a waste of a beautiful fall day.

So I bundled up the kids and loaded the two youngest in the double stroller. I made my eldest daughter hop on her bike and away we went.

Whenever I try something like this with the kids I keep my expectations very low. For some reason they have the tendency to go into cosmic meltdowns whenever I have the audacity to hope they'll just chill out for any period of time.

I thoroughly expected the outing to turn into a nightmare but it actually went well. My oldest on the bike didn't complain too much and the two in the stroller stayed put for the most part.

One small portion of the run took us through a bustling shopping center. The stroller kids started waving to the cars as they passed and even if the people didn't wave back they at least smiled. It was pretty cute.

All in all. it was a good run. I'd prefer to run without pushing a stroller, but sometimes you just do what you can. Maybe it's time to have a higher hopes for my kids, or maybe waiting until they're in their thirties would be safer.

**********

This time of year I always feel like having long, filling breakfasts, then I make a note to run extra the next day. There's a restaurant we used to go to all of the time before we moved that had the best syrup to go with all-you-can-eat french toast. It's not maple syrup. It's a golden concoction of buttery, creamy and sweet goodness. Most of the time I wished they'd skip the french toast and just let me drink the syrup.

Buttermilk Syrup

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 T corn syrup
1 cube butter or margarine
1/2 tea vanilla
1/2 tea baking soda

Directions:
1. Boil sugar, buttermilk, corn syrup, and butter for 3 minutes in medium saucepan.
2. Let the mixture simmer for another 3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
4. Stir in baking soda.
5. Serve over french toast, waffles or pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment