Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chocolates from the Sky, Literally (Including Recipe for Almond Joys)



Well, yesterday I had a fantastic time with my sisters completing the Veterans Half Marathon in Columbia City, IN. It was great to take it easy and just enjoy the time together since we all had complications with our training that stopped us from going all out.

So I bet you are wondering what that has to do with chocolates falling from the sky. Well, I’ll tell you. Last night, to reward ourselves for the run we decided to make homemade Almond Joys. When we were done we couldn’t find room in the fridge so we put them on top of the van in the cool garage to have them set. (Some of you may already see where this is going.)

Early this morning I got up to take my mom to the airport. When I got home my wife asked me where I had put the chocolates. I said I didn’t know anything about them. A minute later she asked again, “No, really, where did you put the chocolates that were on top of the car?” I told her, “I’m serious, I don’t know anything about them”.

I quickly got into the van and retraced the route to the airport looking for a tray full of chocolates scattered over the interstate, with no luck. After church we gave it one more shot. (Okay, if you know my wife you’ll know that she gets a little obsessed when she loses something, but in addition to the chocolates and the pan, we had used our new silicone baking mat.)

There, rolled up on the side of the freeway entrance was our baking mat and a bit further on were a dozen or so Almond Joys mixed with the roadside debris. The pan was nowhere to be found. It must of taken off like a kite when I began to pick up speed.

I can just imagine some poor unsuspecting motorist, minding their own business early on a Sunday morning, suddenly getting pelted with Almond Joys. That'd wake you up!

Almond Joys:

5 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar (not packed)
14 ounces shredded coconut (can use flaked as well)
¾ cup roasted slivered almonds
Almonds to top chocolates- slivered or whole
Chocolate for dipping
¼ cup milk

Blend the condensed milk and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, stirring until smooth. Stir in the coconut and almonds. Mixture should be firm. When you stop mixing, you see some slight settling but it should not be too sticky or runny. Add a little milk if needed to get it to the right consistency. Pat the mixture in a greased 9x13 pan and chill until firm. Cut into 1x2 inch bars to dip. OR roll chilled mixture into walnut sized balls and then chill (chilling before making balls makes it less sticky to hands.) A cookie scoop is helpful for getting uniform ball sizes. Chill again if necessary, the colder, the better. Use a double boiler to melt chocolate. Dip chilled bars or balls. Top with almonds. Chill on wax paper. Recipe makes 25 balls with medium scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment