Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Smell of Success & Molasses Cookies

I've made my decision. I'm going to play it safe and run the half marathon at the Martian Marathon in April. (I began this train of thought in the posting titled "Irony & Lemon Blossoms".)

I've completed 2 full marathons and neither went very well. I followed my training plans religiously but when it came to the actual races, everything seemed to fall apart. I went out way too fast for both, but especially the first, and later bonked early and hard. The second was on a very warm day for a marathon and I didn't slow down to compensate. In the end I finished both races more than a half hour behind my goal. I'll admit I was dicouraged and a big part of me wants to try again to redeem myself.

There are a few considerations though:
  • Time. More specifically, my lack of it and anyone that has trained for a marathon can attest to the fact that it takes a lot of time. Most of the Saturday long runs are hours long and it seems to eat up most of the day, not to mention the many days that I got out of bed at 4 am or earlier to run.

  • Physiology. I'm a big guy. I'm 6'2" and at the top end of the healthy BMI. At the peak of marathon training my body gets really broken down from that much pounding. What's really weird is that my body starts to rebel and I gain some weight even though I'm running 35+ a week.

  • Need to feel successful. While training for my second marathon, I discovered that the Martian Half Marathon fit perfectly into my training plan. I signed up and just viewed it as a fun workout. I had a soft goal in mind of 2 hours. I didn't want to kill myself and ruin the upcoming full marathon. I went out and felt good. I ended up finishing in 1:54 including a potty break. It felt really good to surpass my goal. (In fact, I finished so early that my family hadn't yet arrived to see me finish.)

I'm sure all you Tony Robbins types out there are saying, "Cameron, you shouldn't lower your goals to meet your ability. You should shoot for the moon..." Blah, blah, blah. I've already proven to myself that I can finish a marathon. For now I want to see how good I can do at a distance that better fits my current circumstance in life. So take that, Tony.

**********

I know some of you bravely endure my ramblings about running in order to get to the good stuff; dessert. These cookies are more spiced than many molasses cookies, something I really enjoy. They are perfect with a nice glass of ice cold milk.

Soft Molasses Cookies

¾ cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
½ cup molasses
2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg

Cream together shortening and brown sugar. Stir in egg and molasses and mix well. Fold in dry ingredients and stir. Cover and chill until firm (1-2 hours). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Leave on sheet for minute to set.

Recipe by Jan Badovinac

Photo by sheenbean

No comments:

Post a Comment