Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Drug-Dealers & Hawaiian Weddings

A few years ago I was on a business trip to Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. A colleague of mine was also a runner. We had some spare time and we both wanted to go for a run. The problem was that he really wanted to go outside and I really wanted to use one of the hotel's treadmills. He thought I was nuts and teased me a little. So he went out alone and I watched something, probably a Mexican soap opera, on TV while I ran on the treadmill. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

For one thing, even though it is much worse now, Ciudad Juárez was not the safest place in the world to be an unarmed blond guy (I guess I do feel a little guilty for letting him go out alone). For another, I really don't mind a treadmill. For yet another, I'm not a very social runner. I'm always worried that I'm holding them back and it's usually too much of a hassle to arrange times with others.

There seems to be a prevailing thought in the world of running that we're all supposed to love going out in packs and loathe those terrible weather days that force us into the basement on the 'mill.

I say live and let live! I have other interests in life besides running. Among other things I love reading and watching a little TV. One of the ways that I can fit running into what I feel is a well rounded life is by combining some of my interests. When I'm on the treadmill, I can also watch TV. When there's good running weather I get to listen to audio books while I run outside. (It's hard to chat with a running buddy while concentrating on the latest Grisham.)

The moral of this story is to run whichever way gives you the most pleasure and fits the best into your life circumstance. That, and don't get kidnapped by drug-dealers.

**********

I'm not sure how authentically Hawaiian this cake is since I first had it in Michigan (not exactly a hotbed of Hawaiian culture), or what it has to do with weddings, but it sure is tasty.

Hawaiian Wedding Cake

1 cup margarine
2 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 lb graham cracker crumbs
1 (#2) can crushed pineapple, drained
6 oz (½ bag) coconut
1 cup milk
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Cream the butter & sugar, add eggs and baking powder. Mix together. Slowly add milk and the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment