Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Manly Stitch & Bread Pudding to Die For

I have been a predominantly morning runner for quite some time but I have been running at night lately. Last night I was reminded why. Right now I get off work a little after 4 pm and we have dinner shortly after I get home. By the time I run when the kids are in bed it has been a few hours since eating.

Last night, however, I ate a little later than normal and since we had a guest, I had a nice big bowl of key lime bar with ice cream. Obviously I didn't wait long enough before running because I got the worst stitch after a half mile or so. It wasn't just on a side. It was on both sides and everything in between. It felt like my insides had suddenly decided that they'd much rather be on the outside and they were trying to take the shortest route possible.

I kept thinking that if I just kept going eventually it would go away. It eventually did, at the 3.8 mile mark of my 4 mile run. I felt pretty manly running through such a beastly stitch. Manly or moronically stubborn. Take your pick.

**********

My wife loves bread pudding so we have tried a lot. This is hands down the best.

Caramel Bread Pudding

1 ½ cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
1 ½ cups milk
¼ lb melted butter
1 ¼ lbs white bread (2 loaves) cubed
½ cup caramel sauce (the caramel recipe found here is amazing in this recipe)
Non-stick cooking spray

For pudding: combine sugar, eggs, cream, milk, and butter in a bowl and mix together. Add the bread and fold it in. Put mixture in a 9 X 13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick spray. Pour the caramel sauce over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Check, rotate, and bake up to 30 more minutes more until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and more caramel sauce.

Bread Pudding recipe from the Union Grill in Ogden, UT

No comments:

Post a Comment