Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Slush for Brains & Caramels

This past weekend the area in I which live was hit by a moderate snowstorm immediately followed by temperatures that would make a polar bear grab a scarf. It's so cold that the salt that the crews put down on the roads hasn't really worked so there's still slipping and sliding all over the place.

Into this scene I begin my brief narrative. I hopped in my car at 6 am this morning, immeasurably grateful for an attached garage. The temperature was right around zero with a wind chill of -10. I drove down my street in the eery pre-dawn blackness. There, ahead of me were ethereal lights bobbing yellow and white like little eskimo fireflies.

Okay, enough with the drama. The little lights were the reflectors on a certifiably insane runner out before dawn in sub-zero temperatures, running on ice. I thought to myself, I like running, but obviously not as much as that guy because you will never find me doing that. Halleluiah for a treadmill.

**********

My wife and I have been slaving away over sugar pots for the last week finishing up our Christmas chocolates. I've already posted the recipes for two of the staples, Almond Joys and Buckeyes. Today I'm posting a new favorite that we've worked on for a couple of years and finally found the perfect winner.

Soft Caramels

1 quart heavy cream (32 oz)
4 cups sugar
2 cups corn syrup
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the cream. sugar, corn syrup, evaporated milk and salt in a large pot and heat on medium, stirring regularly until it reaches 235 degrees (soft ball stage). Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into greased 9X13 cake pan. Chill thoroughly. Cut into bite sized pieces and roll in squares of wax paper.

Notes:
-Use a large pot because it will bubble up to more than double in volume.
-It will heat up pretty quickly until it hits about 215 degrees then it will go much more slowly. It could take an hour or more. Be patient, it's worth it.
-Works wonderfully to dip in chocolate and sprinkle with a little sea salt.

Recipe from Wendy Russon. Her annual Christmas gift of caramels was the single most coveted goody in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment