Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy Little Accidents & Red Velvet Cupcakes

Like most gluttonous Americans, I have eaten enough to feed a small country in the past week. I've definitely felt the blah to go with it. Somehow in my food lethargy I was able to pull myself onto the treadmill this morning.

Shortly after hitting the one mile mark I realized that in my pre-run stupor I had neglected to put on my knee brace. (In the post entitled "Freak Bowling Accident" I described the incident that made the brace necessary.) I was a little worried that my IT Band Syndrome would flare up but decided to continue and see what would happen.

Around the two mile mark I felt the familiar and frightful twinge, but it never progressed and eventually went away. I love it when the stupid little things I often do turn into good things. I just wish it would happen more often.

***********

Speaking of food induced lethargy, hurry and make these cupcakes before your New Year's resolutions kick in because they aren't allowed in any diet I've ever heard of. They are incredibly moist and delicious.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. Makes enough for 2 batches unless you are EXTREMELY liberal with the frosting.

Recipe by Paula Deen

No comments:

Post a Comment