Thursday, March 24, 2011

You put your left hip out... & Shortbread

I mentioned in my last post that one of the reasons the run was ugly was that my hip hurt. Well, my run the following day was not nearly as ugly; I had plenty of energy, but my left hip started aching pretty badly at about mile three and the pain stayed all the way to mile 12.

To help the healing after the run I took a freezing cold bath and took some anti-inflammatories. I didn't run on Monday or Wednesday, and did just a little less than 3 miles on Tuesday until I felt the pain coming back. I'm not going to run today or tomorrow either. I'll go out for my long run on Saturday morning though.

It's all about gambling now. I'm gambling that I have enough fitness to hold out to the race just ten days away. It's better to let your body heal at the possible expense of a little fitness than to push the body to the point that you can't race at all.

**********

Cookie Canvases (Shortbread)

Ingredients:
2 cups butter (softened)
2 cups sugar
4 cups flour

Glaze:
½ lbs powdered sugar
5-6 Tbsp milk

Cream butter with sugar. Gradually add flour. Press into a large, rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm and transfer to a wire rack. Again, while still warm, brush with glaze. Allow to sit at room temp for 24 hours for the glaze to set. Paint with food coloring.

Recipe from Catherine Greer Limpo

No comments:

Post a Comment