Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pressure Time & Molten Lava

The big day is now just three days away! The weather for race day looks perfect; mid-30s – mid-40s and cloudy. My hips haven't hurt for about a week so I hope that whatever was going on in their has had a chance to fix itself.

Not being a naturally talented runner, I have always been very strict about having a training plan and sticking to it. Until my hip troubles I have followed the plan to the letter. And yet I'm still going into the race not entirely confident that I'll be able reach my goal of getting a PR.

My current half marathon PR of 1:54 was set last year in the same race in almost the exact same conditions. At the time I was in the thick of training for a full marathon, so 13.1 miles was actually a shorter distance than I was running the Saturdays before and after the race. I decided to do the race as a training run. I went out really loose with nothing to prove and no firm goal in mind. I thought it would be nice to break two hours but I knew I couldn't kill myself because I had to keep training the following week. About half way through I was feeling good and I could tell that I had plenty left in the tank so I decided to push it. I was thrilled with the result because, while not spectacular for many a fit person, my performance greatly exceeded my expectations.

So this year, it seems all things are equal, except that I have definite plans to do well. I guess we'll see if I can live up to the self-imposed pressure.

**********

My wife and I have been big fan's of Chili's Molten Lava cake for years. Since we're cheap and adventurous we decided to try and make it ourselves rather than run to Chili's and fork down $6 for a serving everytime we're jonesing for some chocolaty goodness. We've tried many recipe with disappointing results but finally found one that fits the bill. It started as a surprisingly complicated recipe from the Food Network that made the cake from scratch. When we tasted it I decide that there was almost no difference between the scratch cake and one from a box so I simplified.

Molten Lava Cake (copycat for Chili's)

For the cakes:
-Mix one box devil's food cake mix according to instructions

For the filling:
-8 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-4 Tbs unsalted butter
-1 Tbs light corn syrup

For plating:
-Chocolate Magic Shell topping
-Vanilla ice cream
-Caramel sauce for drizzling

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 4 10 oz brioche molds, ramekins or jumbo muffin cups with cooking spray. Dust with cocoa powder and tap out the extra.

Pour the cake batter evenly into the molds and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cakes cool until they pull away from the molds.

Meanwhile, make the filling. Microwave the chocolate, cream, butter and corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate starts to melt, 1 minute, 30 seconds. Let sit 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Reheat before using, if necessary.

Use the tip of a paring knife to gently loosen the cakes from the molds, then invert the cakes onto a cutting board.

Use the knife to cut a 1 1/2-inch circle on the top of each cake, cutting almost to the bottom. Hollow out the cake with a spoon; save the scraps. Wrap the cakes with plastic wrap and microwave until steaming, 1 minute.

Drizzle plates with caramel, then unwrap the cakes and place on top. Pour about 3 tablespoons filling into each cake.

Plug the hole with a cake scrap. Save or discard any remaining scraps.
Top each cake with a scoop of ice cream and Magic Shell. Pig out.

No comments:

Post a Comment