Friday, February 25, 2011

Quicksand & Cowboys

What do you call a person who runs around a dimly lit basement for an hour?

I recently described the problem that has developed on our treadmill. I guess the drawback of buying a treadmill that we could actually afford was that it couldn't quite handle the constant pounding that I put it through.

The intersecting network of cracks in the walking platform (the hard surface beneath the belt) have continued to grow. With each step the platform sinks down an inch or so in the middle. At first it just felt a little funny. Now it feels like I'm running in sand.

We finally came to the realization that this was not going to work. At first we thought that we'd have to get a new treadmill but then discovered that we could just replace the platform. I ordered it a couple of days ago.

So I just have to hold out a few days until it arrives. That sound easier than it actually is because I'm in the thick of training for the half marathon and it keeps snowing outside. I don't have many options and none of them are good. Last night I just decided to endure the treadmill quicksand but couldn't stand it after a mile. Luckily, I have a big, open basement which is why I ended up running figure eights around it for an hour.

**********

After so much frustration I need some good ol' fashioned comfort in the form of sugar. These hit the spot.

Cowboy Cookies

Cream together:
2 cup shortening
2 cup sugar
2 cup brown sugar

Add:
5 eggs
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1 cup nuts or coconut
2 tsp baking soda
4 cups rolled oats
2 tsp vanilla
1 (12 oz) package chocolate chips

Mix until combined.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Makes a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment