Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crack Head

The half marathon training has been going well. It’s quite a bit more intense than other programs I’ve been on but I feel like I’m getting faster and I’ve lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks. All of my running so far has been done on our treadmill in the basement because it’s February in Michigan and it’s freakin’ cold outside (the high was 10 degrees today).

A few runs ago I started noticing that the treadmill felt a little funny as I stepped through the back half of each stride; like it was sinking in. After running yesterday I got down on my sweaty hands and knees to inspect what was going on under the belt. I discovered an extensive network of cracks in the middle of the deck.

Of course, we don’t have an extra grand to go out and get a new one, so I guess I’ll keep using the broken one until it totally disintegrates or until I can escape to the great outdoors when the tundra thaws… in six months.

**********

Speaking of crack...

Cracker Candy

Ingredients
-1 ¼ cups (2 ½ sticks) butter, divided
-35 to 40 soda crackers
-1 cup packed dark brown sugar
-1 can (14 ounces) Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk
-1 ½ cups (9 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
-¾ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425° F. Line 15 x 10-inch cookie sheet (with sides) with aluminum foil.

Melt ¼ cup (½ stick) butter in medium saucepan. Pour into prepared jelly-roll pan. Arrange crackers over butter, breaking crackers to fit empty spaces.

Melt remaining butter in same saucepan; add sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sweetened condensed milk. Pour over crackers.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and slightly darkened. Remove from oven; cool for 1 minute.

Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes or until chips are shiny; spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts if desired; press into chocolate. Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Remove foil; cut into pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen a recipe like this...I may just have to give it a try. Oh, and I think you may have cured me of my want for a treadmill!v

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very similar recipe, though mine doesn't involve sweetened condensed milk. That's my favorite way to use up the left-over saltines when morning sickness fades and I can stand to eat sugar again...

    ReplyDelete