Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's a Miracle!

I have written about the troubles I've had in the past with my iliotibial band (a ligament on the side of the knee that can get painfully inflamed while running to cause the fairly common running injury IT Band Syndrome). Since I found a brace that worked I haven't had any pain. I've run with the brace about 8 months now. It's been fine, albeit a little itchy and goofy looking.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine took me out to a wild bird refuge to go for a run. After driving for a half an hour I discovered that I had forgotten my brace at home. My training schedule said that I needed to do 6 miles that day so I decided to give it a shot and stop if it started hurting.

Lo and behold, it never started hurting. I've tested it out since then on shorter runs and it still hasn't hurt. Rather than do too much and injure it again I plan on increasing my brace-free mileage over time until I don't wear it anymore. Maybe I'll finally stop being the gimpy old guy that people point and laugh at!

No comments:

Post a Comment