Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hard Bargains & Coconut Bars

As I've mentioned, I am going to be running the Martian Half Marathon on the first Saturday in April. This will be the third year that I'm running the race at some distance or another. As part of the event they put on a kids' marathon. In the weeks leading up to the event the kids run a total of 25 miles, a little at a time. Then on race day they run the final 1.2 mile for a complete marathon. The idea is to get kids out there active and hopefully plant the seed of running love.

Two years ago my oldest daughter participated and last year both my daughters did it. I wish I could say that they caught fire and will be definitely be running for life, but I can't. We had them do about a mile a day for the month leading up to the race. The daily conversation to get them to do their running/walking usually went something like this:

Me: Girls, it's time to do your running.
Girls: Ahhhhh (read as a synchronized groan of death), do we have to?
Me: I told you before we signed you up and paid for it that if you wanted to do it you'd have to run or walk everyday. So, yes, you have to.
Girls: But we'd rather watch this poorly written children's program on TV.
Me: Too bad.
Girls: We'll make you a deal, if you give us a human head sized helping of ice cream covered in Pixie Stick powder then we'll do it.
Me: Deal. Anything to get you running.

Okay, so that's not exactly how it went, but hopefully you get the idea. They constantly grumbled and complained. On race day they had a great time and I think they enjoyed feeling a sense of accomplishment, but I'm sure that if they sign up again that I'll be in for the same daily gripe and negotiating session.

Does anyone out there have good ideas about how to teach kids a love of running? If you hold out on me I'll send them to you for the griping.

**********

These bars are a nice change of pace from our normal, overly rich and chocolately desserts.

Raspberry Coconut Bars

¾ cup butter
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups coconut (divided)
1 ½ cups oatmeal
¾ cup raspberry preserves (can substitute any preserves)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat butter, brown sugar and sugar together until fluffy. Add flour, 1 cup coconut and oatmeal. Mix and set aside 1 cup of mixture. Press remaining dough in a 9x13 pan. Spread with preserves. Crumble set aside mixture on top. Sprinkle on 1 cup of coconut. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve like a cookie or, better yet, warm with vanilla ice cream (Pixie Stick powder is optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment