Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Go Go Gadget Runner & Pumpkin Cookies

One of the things I love about running is that, at it's most basic, it is remarkable cheap compared to other sports. In the ancient Greek Olympic Games the runners competed in nothing but sandals. My son still likes to do that, but thankfully us self-conscious and modest adults have progressed a little from there.

You really only need some shorts, a shirt (semi-optional for guys), and some shoes (but with the trend in barefoot running even these are becoming optional). Through trial and error I've come to use more sophisticated equipment. I thought in this post I'd run down the pieces of equipment that I use in my running. This is advanced warning that some of this may seem like "To Much Information", though not obscene or anything.

Essential:
- Shoes: I prefer New Balance because they consistently fit my feet well.
- Socks: I use fully synthetic, moisture wicking socks rather than cotton because they keep my feet dryer and reduce the risk of blisters
- Compression shorts: They're basically spandex shorts. They keep everything in place, wick moisture and prevent chafing by eliminating skin to skin rubbing
- Regular shorts: Just regular ol' non-cotton gym shorts
- Running shirt: I only use moister wicking fabric
- Band-Aids: It's a little embarrassing to broadcast to the world, but I get sore nipples from the shirt rubbing my chest during long runs. I just put a band-aid over each and don't have any problems. I like the fabric ones the best.

Other:
- Head band or visor: My head sweats a lot so a visor or headband helps to keep it out of my eyes. I don't use them as much anymore because I've kind of gotten used to it.
- Running tights: These are skin tight synthetic fabric leggings that provide warmth on cold runs. Self-consciousness dictates that I wear shorts over them.
- Long-sleeve compression shirt: It's a matching pare with the tights for cold weather.
- Gloves: I have a couple pairs of running gloves. One has a wind-breaking fabric for colder days.
- Hat: I have a beanie style running hat with an adjustable hole in the top for ventilation.
- Sleeves: Imagine taking a tight long sleeve shirt, cutting off the sleeves and then throwing away the shirt. That's what these sleeves are like. They have the advantage of providing warmth but easily removeable once I've warmed up.
- Petroleum Jelly: I smear some in a few areas that are prone chafing.
- Athletic tape: One of my toes almost always gets a blister. I've found that if I wrap it with some water proof athletic tape then I done have problems.
- MP3 player: This is nearly essential for me when I run outside. I have a 4 GB Sansa Clip. I love it because it is tiny but has a display so I can still navigate my tracks.
- Headphones: I like headphones that wrap up and over the ear. They stay in place better for me.
- GPS watch: I wrote about this before. It comes in really handy when I'm in training for a race, which is almost always.
- Heart rate monitor: I have it but don't use it much.
- ID Band: In case something were to happen to me on a run I attach a little plastic clip to my shoes that has my name and address written on it so that they could get a hold of my wife.
- Reflective bands: Again, for safety. For low light conditions I have Velcro bands that go around my ankles that are highly reflective for headlights.
- Treadmill: I use this about two thirds of the time because the weather hasn't been the best.
- TV: The treadmill would be almost unbearable without this.

Anyone else have equipment they use when they run? Because, much to my wife's dismay, I can always use more stuff.

**********

Put chocolates chips inside and cream cheese frosting on top and I'll eat anything.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wet:
½ cup shortening
1 ½ sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Dry:
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

1 cup chocolate chips

Mix shortening, sugar, egg, pumpkin and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and blend into wet mix. Add chocolate chips. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or just until they start to firm. Ice with cream cheese frosting. Makes about 4 dozen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! This is SO helpful. I started the run/walk training but my goodness I seem so far away from that 13.1 distance. I can do it, I can do it... That's what keeps running around my head.

    I am going on a little runners shopping spree this weekend. I need some of these things you so openly shared.

    Thanks for taking the time to help. It's super fun to catch up after all these years!

    ReplyDelete